Friday, December 12, 2008

Handy Candy

Dear readers,

Welcome back to CRMRWW. Just as hinted in the last post, from today onwards until Christmas is over, all my posts will be regarding the Yuletide. (that is, Christmas, in other words.)

Before we begin, I would like to dedicate this post to a teacher from my primary school's CF for sending me most of the information reagarding today's topic.

What candy comes to your mind when you think of Christmas? Why, the candy cane, of course! This hard, striped sweet is the icon of the season's treats. Do you know the meaning behind the candy cane? Let me tell you about it.

According to both primary and secondary sources, the candy cane was made by an Indiana believer who was a candymaker. The candy cane was meant as a tool for witnessing Christ.

The candy cane is in the shape of, well, a cane. But if you look closer, it is actually a staff - a shepherd's staff, representing the Good Shepherd - Jesus, whose initial is made into the shape of the staff! (1 Peter 5:4)

The snow white colour of the original candy cane stands for the purity of Christ's sinless nature. (2 Cor 5:21) Then, thinking it was too plain, the candymaker decorated it with red stripes, symbolizing the scourging Jesus had to undergo for us. The large red stripe is for the blood of Jesus by which we have eternal life. (Eph 1:7)The small three stripes stand for the Trinity (The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit)

Did you notice the candy is rock hard? This represents God who is our firm rock. (1 Cor 10:4) Besides, this rock candy was meant to be shared, as said in 1 Cor 11:24: "This is my body which is broken for you." Now, lastly, as for the smell and taste of pepermint - this has something to do with the herb hyssop. Here's what the Bible says about it in Psalm 51:7: "Purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean, wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

What a sweet candy!

3 comments:

Decky said...

oooo , i like this one .

what about green candy canes ? 0.o?

Chow Xin said...

Oh yes, yes, I wanted to blog about this one. You see, according to tradition, green stripes were later created to represent God's GIFT for us. However, that statement still remains unconfirmed.

Chow Xin said...

Decky, please help me find more viewers for my blog. TQ a million.