Thursday, December 18, 2008

Song of the Ass

Dear Readers,

In accordance with the sweet melodies that ring through the Christmassy atmosphere, I will introduce to you a less popular Christmas Carol. As the title of this blog indicates, the name of this song is called The Friendly Beasts.

This song is from a few animals' point of view, picturing the scene where Jesus lay in a lowly stable, clustered with eager beasts who were enthusiastically celebrating the LORD's birth with their natural characteristics - all from the composer's vivid imagination. Although the lyrics contain many "I"s, I wouldn't perceive the stable company as self-centred, but as creatures who are over-eager to contribute to the arrival of their Maker. From my point of view, it is a very amusing song for children who enjoy tales of talking animals.

The song is known to have originated from the 12th century. In the Augsburg Publishing House 1954 version of Carols of Christmas, the song is English. However, Wikipedia suggests its possible French origin, set to the melody of the Latin song Orientis Partibus. The lyricist of the current English version is Robert Davis (1881-1950).

The song has many other names - The Donkey Carol, The Animal Carol, The Gift of the Animals, and as you know, The Song of the Ass. Belafonte and Cash, artists of the song, used the title The Gifts They Gave.

Before further delay, here are the sweet lyrics of this lovely song:


THE FRIENDLY BEASTS

Jesus our brother, kind and good,
Was humbly born in a stable rude,
And the friendly beasts around Him stood,
Jesus our brother kind and good.

I, said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
I carried His Mother up hill and down,
I carried His Mother to Bethlehem town,
I, said the donkey, shaggy and brown.

I, said the cow, all white and red,
I gave him my manger for his bed,
I gave him my hay to pillow his head,
I, said the cow, all white and red.

I, said the sheep with curly horn,
I gave Him my wool for a blanket warm,
He wore my coat on Christmas morn,
I, said the sheep with curly horn.

I, said the camel, yellow and black,
Over the desert, upon my back,
I brought him a gift in the Wise Men's pack,
I, said the camel, yellow and black.

I, said the dove, from the rafters high,
I cooed Him to sleep that He should not cry,
We cooed Him to sleep my mate and I,
I, said the dove, from the rafters high.

I, said the rooster with the shining eye,
I crowed the news up to the sky;
When the sun arose, I crowed to the sky,
I, said the rooster with the shining eye.

Thus, every beast, by some good spell,
In the stable dark was glad to tell,
Of the gift he gave Emanuel,
Of the gift he gave Emanuel.

What do you think? Great song, right?






No comments: